Deer Hunt for Oak Mountain

Deer Hunt for Oak Mountain

Postby guywdog2005 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:25 pm

Another Unscheduled Deer Hunt has been set for next week at Oak Mountain. I am personally glad to see it happen. I go to the park at least twice a week and I have a good idea of the deer population, it is tremendously out of control. I usually see between 15-50 deer each and every hike I go on. The deer now have instinctively developed a HERD mentality. it does'nt take a biologist to see the damage and destrcution the deer are causing. This latest Hunt was an unanounced Hunt for deer tag holders/hunters from the last hunt. It is all Bow Hunting and this time the officals are trying to avoid having to call in the federal governemnt with their night time sharp shooters/spotlighters. The last Hunt had a total kill of 25 approx. ( I dont remember the exact number). I beleive the Federal sharpshooters killed 60 in one nightime hunt last year. I am glad to see the conservation official taking this mater seriously and IMHO they are on their way to getting at least a handle on this situation. One very important factor is that there are NO Turkey at Oak Mountain now, the deer have simply ran the turkey out of there, the deer are ruining the habitat for other wildlife.
guywdog2005

Postby Dynam0 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:09 am

I too am satisified with the need for this solution. I make it over to Oak Mountain regularly, and more than a few times have deer run in front of my truck. Deer stand at the side of the road oblivious to passers by. I believe the development around the area has a great deal to do with deer overpopulation in the area. They have few other wooded areas to go to.
Dynam0

a more constructive solution

Postby alabamat » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:09 pm

I'm not opposed to the deer hunt, but I might suggest that a better solution would be to expand the park and limit all of those new developments encrouching on the limited amount of habitat left. Sad to see yet another development going up.

Lee
alabamat
Site Admin

Postby Dynam0 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:34 am

Lee has a good point. I was doing my day hike at Oak Mountain Saturday and from the ridge uphill of the Blue Trail, I could see all the sprawl encroaching in on the park. On my drive out, I nearly ran off the road when, to my right, not 150' away, I was looking at someone's back yard. I hadn't noticed this house before.

As a side note: Per NPR this morning, Shelby and Bibb counties are on the top 25 list of rapidly growing counties, in the country, that have risk of destroying the last habitiable land of certain sparsely populated species of animals. Namely fresh water organisms such as muscles and fish, but nonetheless. I usually don't get to riled (and I usually that with a grain of salt) about the decidely leftist reporting done on NPR, but this bothered me.
Dynam0

Postby guywdog2005 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:24 pm

Unfortunately there is little nearby land available for purchase is extending Oak Mountain State park. The north side is a lost cause, the southern border is yet another story, however there is just not much there for purchase. This new Oak Mountain Master Plan that is being implemented does bother me. They have spent $100,000's of dollars on upgrading the golf course, all in the name of gaining more usage fees from the golfers, whop use the golf facilities more than any other user. Youall would be appaled at the New Master Plan, they at one time wanted to pave the Red trail and make it a motor-way, basicly a one-way road cutting thru the park. The public outcry, fortunately put a stop to that. I would like to see Oak mountain stay at it is. it is already overloaded with weekend users. The future does not bode well for the park. With the increase in population the park will only get worse in the coming years, hence the need for expanded land-mass. But that wont happen. If any of you are interested here is the link to theOak Mountain State Park Master Plan

..Q..guyWdog..
guywdog2005

Postby Dynam0 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:17 am

Guywdog-

I'm glad you posted that link. I had no idea that this kind of thing was going on. I personally don't have a problem expanding the golf course. Those guys and gals stay in the low lands and don't bother the wodds very much if at all.

The other ideas though, CRAP! I can't believe what I've just read. Who manages the park, the USFS, some state park association, what?

I can see it now, three foot wide trails with even bigger blazes than there already are on every tree you pass, "comfort centers" (whatever those are) at both major and a new trailhead, SEE BELOW. With any luck they'll take enough time making decisions and implementing plans and procedures that they'll forget about some of this ridiculousness.

What can anyone do about this? Write letters?

Oak Mountain has been my local getaway for a few years now, and I have enjoyed it immensely. I already bushwhack away from the trails in non-sensitve areas (yeah, I'm not a forest ranger, but it's pretty easy to tell), to get off the trails. Even at peak times, I would say that I don't run into an overbearing amount of people. When I do pass people. it's pleasent enough. I'm afraid the thrill would be gone if I were to be clipping along on the orange connector and had to cross a road, navigate a "comfort station", and bathhouses.

------------------

"11. Scenic Touring Trail - Red Road and Tranquility Lake Segment-The second phase of the 13.7 mile scenic touring trail system will be constructed in a one-lane one-way loop from the Peavine Falls Segment along the historic CCC Red Road to provide automobile and bike access along the crest of Double Oak Mountain, through Shackleford Gap and returning to John Findlay Drive."

INSANITY. That crosses exactly on top of one of the best hiking loops in the whole park. I cross Shackleford Gap every time I'm there.

"21. Mountain Top Scenic Cabins-New cabins will be situated to take advantage of the incredible mountain top views overlooking the valley. The CCC vernacular design will be used for 2 bedroom/ 2 bath; 3 bedroom/ 3 bath and mini conference lodges (4-bedroom/ 4 bath with community room). All cabins and lodges will be sited with views and nice exterior amenities. Minimal selective clearing will be performed to achieve long-range views. The cabins will be secluded in the woods, constructed right below the Red Road and will be nestled into the landscape."

Are they serious?
Dynam0

Postby guywdog2005 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:59 pm

The State Department of Conservation over-sees the park. There was a public meeting to discuss these "Plans" the outcry was tremendous to the point where everything was scrapped except the golf course "Plan", However did you read more carefully you would have seen that they are going to build another 18 holes. Where do you think they will put it? As I said the rest of the "Master Plan" was scrapped, however it sits awaiting to be resurrected at a moments notice.
I would like to figure out these so-called experts that came up with these ridiculous ideas. These are the sme people that oversee the park, and if this plan would have gone thru it would have RUINED the park. These Officials are plain out-of-touch. I am convinced that some of these lesser plans will be given life and implemented down the road. Take for instance the CCC cabins/camp that are now abandoned overlooking tranquility lake. And just wait til someone sues the park for handicap access tot he trails. They then will all be paved just as you mention. Enjoy the aprk while you can, maybe we can fight it for another 5-10 years but eventually Oak Mountain will be ruined. I have been going to Oak Mountain for 25 years now, it is an Oasis in this sea of Urban sprawl. There are groups that thier soul interest is keeping Oak Mountain the way it is now. I blieve one group is friends of oak Mountain. I will look into it to see if they have a web site. take care and it is good to know that there are others that are just as concerned as I am.

..Q..GuyWdog..
guywdog2005

Postby Dynam0 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:18 pm

Had I read it more carefully I would have scrapped the whole day at work. I am in the midst of a slow period. My job is either wide open or bone dry.

It was only after I got home and looked at my Oak Mtn. map that I realize that the East side of John Findlay Drive must be interpreted as the side I hike on. What to do with all the mountain bikers and hikers, eh?

I suppose I'll email Friends of Oak Mtn. and see how I can help. My plate is not full enough, you know...

The park must maintain profitability. Perhaps this is whay they gave on everything but their money maker, the golf course. We shall see. Thanks for pointing out my overlooking of the proposed location of the new course. No good!
Dynam0

Postby guywdog2005 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:05 pm

Here is a link but I have yet to look VERY closely at this group.
www.oakmountainfriends.org
And also here is the Design group that came up with this Master plan. www.sslarch.com , take a long look at the map in the picture !
..Q..GuyWdog..[/url]
guywdog2005

Return to Other hiking discussion