Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/msensintaffar/alabamatrail.org/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Hiking Alabama BBS • View topic - Kinlock Shelter

Kinlock Shelter

Kinlock Shelter

Postby Dixiehiker » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:34 pm

My wife and i would like to plan a day hike to Kinlock Shelter. This is an area i have not yet been to and not sure how to get there, can someone give some directions? where is a good place to start, any trip suggestions, any key areas to explore? i would appreciate any info. Is this somewhere on Hubbard Creek? Dixiehiker.
Dixiehiker

Postby McDowra » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:33 pm

http://www.powpublishing.com/lawrenceMAP.pdf

look at bottom left of map, park at kenlock springs north of kenlock falls. take forestroad/trail you go about 1/4 mile and a trail goes to the right take it. Not far up the trail will be the shelter on your left.
N34 18.882 W87 30.829 are gps coordinates that will get you close. would highly recommend you check out kenlock falls and parker falls. The first is beside the road the other is less than 30 minute walk.

Mac
McDowra

Kinlock Shelter

Postby Dixiehiker » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I have been to kinlock and Parker falls. They are both great. I have seen the parking area at kinlock spring but didn't know this was the way to the shelter, it will be a few weeks before we can go but i will plan on taking this route. Also thanks for the coords i can now convert them to UTM and then plot them onto my USGS topo map and see right where the shelter is. Dixiehiker
Dixiehiker

Postby Uncle Wayne » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:23 am

McDowra wrote:http://www.powpublishing.com/lawrenceMAP.pdf

look at bottom left of map, park at kenlock springs north of kenlock falls. take forestroad/trail you go about 1/4 mile and a trail goes to the right take it. Not far up the trail will be the shelter on your left.
N34 18.882 W87 30.829 are gps coordinates that will get you close. would highly recommend you check out kenlock falls and parker falls. The first is beside the road the other is less than 30 minute walk.

Mac

Yep, the trail to the shelter is just as you reach the top of the climb from where you parked. It is an obvious trail and then bear left after you follow it maybe 100 yards. Again an obvious path that works it's way down the bluff line. The huge shelter is in view from where you start down back to your right. Enjoy.
Uncle Wayne
Uncle Wayne

Re: Kinlock Shelter, another place to visit

Postby Uncle Wayne » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:40 am

After visiting the shelter and you come back to the forest service road, instead of going back to the car, turn right and follow the road for maybe a mile. It will eventually deadend in a huge clearing but just before it does you'll see an elaborate, (meaning costly), concrete bridge over a feeder stream into Hubbard Creek. It is an enjoyable hike albeit along the old road and you'll get to see another terrible waste of tax payer money.
Uncle Wayne
Uncle Wayne

Postby dayhiker » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:07 am

UW - the last time I was there I went to the top of the shelter. There was a marker up top that looked like Buddist prayer flags. It looked like it had been there awhile. Do you know the significance of it being placed there?
dayhiker

Postby Uncle Wayne » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 am

dayhiker wrote:UW - the last time I was there I went to the top of the shelter. There was a marker up top that looked like Buddist prayer flags. It looked like it had been there awhile. Do you know the significance of it being placed there?

No but it has been there awhile. I've never seen it but another friend asked me about it also. I don't know but the local Echota Cherokees hold a "ceremony" at the shelter occasionally I'm told.

BTW, the guy you asked me about making a contribution to a while back is rumored to be moving his operation to North Carolina, his original stomping grounds. Don't know any other details.
Uncle Wayne
Uncle Wayne

Postby Dixiehiker » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:18 pm

I was able to visit the shelter today, wow what a cool place! now that i know where it is i will take the wife when she is ready to go. Thanks for your input UncleWayne, i hope to meet up with you sometime. Dixiehiker.
Dixiehiker

Return to Sipsey Wilderness